Running Reality requires that all historical material in the form of factoids has a citation so that the veracity of each data point can be verified by the Running Reality review board and also by any user or visitor. The web version of Running Reality has some access to citation data and the app version has full citation details. Personal timelines that are local to a user's own computer do not need citations.
- Map tiles are a combination of data:
- The pixel colors are made with Natural Earth II.
- The shorelines are NOAA World Vector Shoreline data.
- The terrain shadings are NASA Shuttle Radar Tomography Mission (SRTM) elevation data hosted by USGS.
- The continental drift is from GPlates.
- Textures (that are not generated by Running Reality) are from textures.com
- Icons (that are not drawn by Running Reality) are sourced primarily from iconfinder.com, in particular:
The Anatomy of a Citation
An example of a citation in the XML format:
<Citation cite="Wikipedia" name="Wikipedia" copyright="open_source" url="http://en.wikipedia.com/" />
These are the citations of the reference works used within Running Reality: